Pages

Monday 3 October 2011

Ten rules of the (business) game


Business game
As part of my organization’s graduate program, a variety of speakers were brought in to help us succeed in our roles. The list below was given to us by one of the speakers. Please only use it as a starting point for reflection and remember that it’s just one person’s point of view.

Visualize working in business as a game and these are the rules…

1. Never ever take it personally
If it hasn't happened already, you are going to encounter criticism throughout your career and you'll need to find a way to learn from it. 

I respond by trying to separate my self-worth from my skills and performance. If I were told that I have horrible management skills, then that’s just an area for improvement and not a reflection on me as a human.

2. Nothing beats sheer competence
This one is reasonably self explanatory and a key driver of building your personal brand.

3. Lower your expectations of leadership
Leaders are just people who use their skills and experience to try and figure out how best to succeed.

When I first started in the corporate world, I thought that the senior leaders were smarter and wiser than the average employee... hence their seniority. In some instances this might be true, but in most instances leaders are in positions of power due to a combination of desire and fortune.

Setting realistic expectations of leaders will help you to understand why they make certain decisions and how you can add value.

4. The game is not fair
The leaders of public, for profit companies are legally required to act in the best interest of their shareholders, which can sometimes be at odds to the best interests of their current staff members.

It’s worth remembering that the rules of the game will change based on many things outside of the organization (competitors, industry, government etc.), but you will still be held accountable.

5. It’s what you know, who you know and who knows you
I think this quote is fantastic and it also ties into networking and personal brand.

6. You always have a choice (including the way you think)
This statement applies to so much more than just business. How do you respond to the opportunities and challenges in your life?

7. Remember that all business is a game
I find it useful to keep business in perspective; it’s one aspect of your life, along with many others.

8. You get what you settle for
Although connected to goals and motivation, I don’t entirely agree with this one as I feel that the speaker intentionally chose wording to generate an emotional response from the audience.

9. Remember to enjoy it
I love this concept and try to apply it in all the elements of my life.

10. Make your own rules.
If you can find a way to improve business, or the above list for that matter, then seek approval and go do it...especially if you can involve others in the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment